09 October 2013

What's your luxury?

Another conversation with my best friend led to today's post.  He's so inspiring!  Anyway...  What do you consider a luxury for you?

Today was the book fair at his daughter's school, and, predictably so, she had a list.  I know how much Dad and daughter both love books, and I remember book fairs when I was in school.  It was a bibliophile's paradise!  Her mom had likely told her "No" to a request for books, considering them "luxuries," and further conversation revealed that she likely considers reading at all a "luxury," even with such delights as free e-books and these great places called libraries.

Some of my favorite books.  Love me some Fitzgerald!
For me, too, books are a luxury.  However, reading is a necessity.  (When we moved, the first thing I located was the closest public library.  Grocery store, pharmacy and government offices were secondary.)  There's not just the buying of books, but there's also storing them.  Then, eventually, I'd have to move them.  That seems like a lot of trouble.  At the same time, I'll be the first to admit that my love of books would keep me from taking a vow of poverty.

I will only buy books, though, if I feel that they will enrich and enhance my life in a significant way.  I'll buy books on being a better business person or books that will teach me something new, but I'll borrow chick lit and classics.  I have boxes of books on business, theology, soapmaking and responsible financials.  These are all things that are important to me.

Are these books my only luxury, though?  No.  Artisan-made soap also is a luxury for me.  (Thank goodness I know how to make my own!)  Just as I can't imagine living life without a source of reading material, I also can't imagine tormenting my skin with synthetic detergent bars like I used to.  These are little things, but they make life more enjoyable to me.

What luxuries can you not live without on a daily basis?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: